October 9, 2010

farmer's market saturday

Is there anything better on Thanksgiving weekend than to visit the farmer's market? Cloudy fall day, the ground still fresh from an early morning rain - but dry and cool enough for a comfortable walk around Trout Lake.


Squash are everywhere! I still have some freaky gimongous ones I picked up at Keremeos on the way home from the Okanagan so I took a pass, but I did pick up a sugar pumpkin. Going to try and make pumpkin pie from scratch :-)


The tomato man himself, Milan of Stoney Paradise Farm was here with grapes, heirloom tomatoes, cipollinis and shallots. Milan so graciously gave me a tour of his farm when I was in Kelowna a few weeks back, and you'll see those pictures soon enough!


I saw this at one of the stands - anyone know what it is? Apparently it's a type of melon!


And here's today's haul! Sugar pumpkin, a hell ton of golden beets for Thanksgiving dinner, Milan's sungold and cascade tomatoes, and some sunchokes (aka Jerusalem artichokes)! I've never prepared sunchokes before so this will be interesting. They told me to roast it up or eat it raw! I've eaten them before in puree, so I'm looking forward to this.

Have a great weekend folks! I'll try to post some pictures of Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, if I actually wake up from my food coma.

No comments: