March 9, 2011

wally's burgers (east van)

Vancouver is turning 125 this year so we're a fairly young city still. With that, we don't have as many "institutions" as say, a New York or Boston would. Wally's Burgers on Kingsway was as close to a landmark of Vancouver's past as we had - a drive-in that refused to change even as its surroundings did.

from VancouverIsAwesome.com

Unfortunately as peoples' tastes changed, Wally's went from the local hangout to, that dinghy little white shack beside the Fountain Tire that you passed by on your way to downtown. In 2008, it closed its doors, much to the chagrin of many locals. I admit that I never visited Wally's even though I lived 5 minutes away and I would... pass it everytime on my way downtown...


Not 2 years later and rumours started spreading that Wally's was coming back in a different location. My friend who lives by Killarney Market confirmed that he had seen a new Wally's Burger sign atop one of awnings, and rumours became reality. Killarney also happens to be minutes away from my workplace; the Chevron there is my regular fill-up spot; and I was at my afore-mentioned friend's place at least once a week - so I had no excuses. I've made a few stops there since to give them a spin. Unrelated side note, local-boy Michael Bublé filmed his "Haven't Met You Yet" video at Killarney Market.


This new location did away with the drive-in concept, and was now a shop at a strip mall, beside the ubiquitous Starbucks. The dining room is certainly cleaner than before, with a touch of minimalist style. A counter runs around 2 walls giving enough room for 6 people to chow down, but certainly not enough to be considered a classic diner. Take-out dominates the business with busy families and teenagers coming in to brown bag it. The menu has several types of burgers, hot dogs, sides (fries, yam fries, poutine, onion rings...) and of course, milkshakes. Food is cooked when ordered, and prices for the burgers start at a reasonable $3.50


First visit - had to go with the Deluxe Wally. $4 gets you a patty, with lettuce, tomatoes, onions and a smear of Wally's special sauce (snicker if it pleases you).


It's not the biggest burger in the world - but it's not the size that matters right? On the taste - it's decent if unspectacular. It's just a little dry (about right for a fast food burger), and the taste conjures up memories of a Big Mac if nothing else. Sure Wally's never claimed to be the best burger in town but I was really hoping for something less reminiscent of a Big Mac. The veg as you can see were pale and lifeless - actually washing out what little flavour there was in the patty. I had asked for a light smear of the sauce, but I'm beginning to think that was a mistake.


On a next visit, they were featuring the Combo Burger, which plopped a hot dog and cheese in the bun, and a milkshake for $10. I'm a hungry boy - why not? I was hoping the salt-content of the dog and lack of any healthy greenery would help out the flavour profile. It did. Unfortunately the hot dog was a little tough so it made eating the burger more annoying than it needed to be. And ironically, the sauce and the cheese lubricated everything a little too much so I can to constantly re-adjust myself while eating it.


They offer several flavours of milkshakes (and there seems to be more flavours added everytime I visit). I went with banana and it was alright - if not, a little strong on the artificial flavouring. Texture was perfect - not super-thick but not super-runny - I wasn't having to struggle to suck it up. Wow this review has been non-stop double-entendres!

Wally's Burgers is located on 2611 East 49th Avenue in East Vancouver. I heard they also run the concession stand at Cates Park in North Vancouver, which Sherman of Sherman's Food Adventures has reviewed. Overall, If I were craving a burger - I'd choose Wally's over McDonald's but only just. I'd still rather hit one of the many pubs in the area if I weren't in any hurry for it.


Wally's Burgers on Urbanspoon


2 comments:

Vijay Rajendran said...

The combo burger concept seems like an error in judgement.

Bukko Boomeranger said...

I was thinking about eating there someday when I'm out for a bike ride. You and other recent Urbanspoon reviews have scared me away. Thanks for saving me from a wasted dining experience.