October 3, 2010

dessert - boozy bread pudding with creme anglaise

So, dessert.


Decided to try my hand at two things I'd never done before: bread pudding, and creme anglaise. I had some leftover pan de sal (Filipino butter rolls), cream that was a few days away from turning, and some eggs. I wanted to use them up. Also, with the extra custard, I could make an anglaise - so no waste!



The recipe I used was:
  • 6 eggs
  • 2 cups whipping cream
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup agave nectar (or whatever sweetener you want)
  • a few glugs of whiskey and Grappa
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla paste (or 2 t vanilla extract)
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract

Let it sit for upto 2 hours at room temp. Squish it down every now and then to make sure the bread is absorbing the custard. Bake at 350ยบ F until the center is done (about 50-60 minutes).

It turned out beautifully!

As for the creme anglaise, it's a tad trickier to accomplish, so watch this amazing video recipe from one of my partners, Rouxbe

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i want to make this on Sat!
anything in the recipe u want to add or change?