September 30, 2010

food cart madness - part ii - ragazzi pizza co.

Ragazzi Pizza Co.

Location: Northeast corner of Burrard, at Pender

As I savoured my pulled pork sandwich from Re-Up, I was already getting myself ready for the next stop on my little food truck madness tour. Ragazzi Pizza specializes in thin-crust pizza with a rotating variety of daily flavours. For the full menu, check out Ragazzi's site.



Today's selection was a fun little grab bag: capricciosa, primavera, proscuitto e funghi and hawaiian. I wasn't in a veg mood, proscuitto on a pizza is just a bad idea, and hawaiian... well that's just a travesty to cheesebread. So capricciosa it was - ham, genoa salami, mushrooms, olives and artichokes.


They heated up my slice for me, and it was nice and hot when I got it. Not hot enough for the cheese to be gooey, but enough that I got that nice cracker crunch when I bit into the crust. The slice wasn't NYC large, and was actually a little smaller than a Flying Wedge slice. The crust itself wasn't anything special - the cracker crunch was more akin to a stale piece of toasted bread than pizza, dry and flavourless. I also wished the cheese had a bit more gooeiness to it. You can see by the photo that it had that congealed plastic-ness going on. To be fair, all these nits could be a non-issue during a more primetime (I was there around 2 PM, after the lunch rush was done).



The positive though was where it truly counts - the toppings. There was great flavour to the salami and the olives which was nice. Too often, pizzas overloaded with "specialty toppings" just end up mixing together, leaving no pronounced flavour - just a mouthful of mush. Here, the olives gave a nice pop, followed by the distinct spiciness of genoa salami.

They charge $3 a slice, which is fair for what you get. It's $1.50 from the little crap-in-the-walls along Granville, and $5+ for Flying Wedge - so I'm fine with $3. There's really no other pizza joint anywhere near that area so if you're craving a slice when you get off the SkyTrain - here you are.

Tomorrow, CSK Chinese Skewer King just across the way.

Ragazzi Pizza Truck on Urbanspoon

No comments: